Saturday, September 24, 2005

09-24-05 1:12 pm

This is the first of several updates that will have information generated mostly in the two days preceding this update. First of all I'd like to alleviate the general concern as much as I can, I'm doing fine, my living conditions seem O.K., despite being a bit cramped, my roommates seem like pretty good people. Etc.

On to specifics.

I'm taking 3 classes this quarter numbering a total of 12 credits. I'm following two pieces of advice that I've received from multiple people in this decision. I was told by several people who are either currently in college or recently out of college that you should've take too much the first semester. I'm not on semesters, but I think the lesson still applies. The second counsel I received was that the first semesters classes should have as little to do with your major as possible. On that note I feel I should point out that my major is probably electrical engineering, but there's a 30% chance I'll change over to mechanical engineering. Those two are similar enough though that the advice applies without regard to which I end up choosing.

The classes and the descriptions UW provides are below along with my own commentary.

GEOG 270 Geographies and International Development and Environmental Change (5) I&S
Considers the meaning of development and how debates over international development link to environmental concerns. Examines how the globalization of agricultural production and debates over genetically modified food alter ideas about development, nature, and the environment. Addresses fair trade policies and practices and the obligations of multinational corporations. Offered: A. Instructor Course Description: Douglas Mercer

While this doesn't really apply it's an interesting subject. I believe my thinking (I would characterize myself as an embittered humanist with a harsh realist view on the world) will lead to a series of spirited and entertaining debates. I have a great deal of conflicts with "ecotopian" thinking and most of them relate to subjects like this. One key examples is that I support twisting nature to fit mankind's desires, and I'm not entirely sure conquest is evil.

C LIT 350 Themes in World Literature: Parents and Children (5) VLPA
World literature, from the Renaissance to modern times, based upon the theme of "parents and children." Selections drawn from European, English, and American literature, not limited to period and genre. Focus upon the motive of generational conflict.

This one sounds somewhat interesting and should at least provide a variety of interesting reading material, even it won't give me a chance to be the Devils loyal advocate.

GEN ST 199 The University Community (1-2, max. 2)
Introduces students to various aspects of the University of Washington community. Includes exploration of university resources and opportunities, and academically related skill development. Credit/no credit only.

This is a very very key one, and the main reason I'm taking the other two. This class will essentially teach me how to turn the eldritch machinations of university administration to my benefit. However, it's only offered with the F.I.G. (Freshman Interest Group) program. The F.I.G. program is a way of prepackaging classes in order to make the process of registation easier the first time. I think it's generally a great idea, but all of the best F.I.G.s are already taken. I was in the last group to register because I came up to Seattle shortly before classes started in order to minimize air travel.

Overall I'm satisfied with my classes, although I think I could've gotten better ones if I had registered earlier.

Speaking of which, I've got a trump card for next quarter. The Office of Disability Affairs (or something like that) has given me the ability, as someone who has ADD, to register about one week before everyone else.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home