Sunday, February 04, 2007

Weird Night

It's been a long strange night, and it's not even three yet.

The whole thing starts with me leaving an hour early. Indulge in a tangent so I can explain why I did that. My job is part of a continuous cycle with the housekeepers, all revolving around the closet. The keepers come in, fill the laundry carts and empty the closet. Then I come in, empty the carts, and fill the closet. How much I'll have to do in a given night varies, but I've got a theoretical means of measuring it. At the end of a night I can look at the closet and see how much we have in stock, and from that I can figure out how much is out. The more that's our the more that should be coming in right? So last night we were at around 10% on towels, wash clothes, dish towels, and hand clothes, and around 50% on queen sheets, and everything else looked fine. Since towels, hand towels, and queen sheets are the ones that I deal with the most I took their low count to mean a big order was coming up. So I leave early and I arrive at 10.

This is when the first weird thing happens. I meet with Josh who was on shift, and hear that the shifty Hispanic coke fiend who was my first disturbance call has become a repeat offender, and is in fact an employee of homestead bellevue.

Substance abuse and my coworkers is becoming a recurring theme.

We discussed that for a while and the picture is pretty bad. It would be bad if he was knocking on random doors asking for coke, but he's actually opening random doors asking for coke. Remember he works here, he knows where to get a master key, and we're missing one of the master keys. I'm not prepared to convict him, but I'm ready to accuse him, and report the full story if I get another call about him.

So Josh and I wind up our discussion and I head over to the laundry room. The load isn't just light, it's comically light. It ends up being 3 loads, my usual is around 9, but could easily have been two is I didn't like to sort king and queen size sheets prior to wash. At 12:30 I'm essentially done with the laundry. I would have been done by midnight but I'd been having really bad bouts of stomach pain and indigestion. It's at 12:30 that they move into some higher plateau. In one brutal sweep I'm suddenly nauseous, incredibly tired, and light headed. I focus on keeping my mental cool, and very carefully walk back to the lobby restroom. An agonizing half hour later I shove the clean towels into the dirty cart, pack up my stuff, and check myself into a dirty room. I may not have finished my task, but this way I won't vomit on anything, or die. I lay in bed for about an hour, drifting into sleep for only 10 minutes or so, and around 2 I realize that I can't sleep, and I don't really feel any more pain. I get up and find that whatever it was that had beaten me so quickly into submission has completely passed. I finished the laundry without any event.

The night continues to be weird because just recently a friend of Josh's stumbled into the lobby, completely smashed, looking for Josh. They eventually met up, and I found something that's almost funny. A few of my coworkers, their friends, and my boss are all drinking in a room around here somewhere. What do I do if I get a noise complaint about my boss? I'm not even setting foot into that labyrinth of protocol and priority.

So now it's 3, I've got nothing to do, and I may have some kind of stomach imp. I'm sure this story isn't over yet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home