Monday, April 10, 2006

Tacit consent

You guys know what a Paladin is right? Holy knight. In either case Paladins in D&D have one key rule. If a paladin ever willingly commits an evil act or allows evil to happen they lose their paladin powers because they're not being holy enough.

I've had a few discussions about how far this goes. Does every character who plays a paladin instantly lose their powers because evil is happening somewhere in the world. "Whoa! Someone in the world is suffering and you're not healing them! Tacit consent, you lose your powers!"

They don't but it's an interesting question. It also applies to me in a current situation.

A friend of mine, the names will not be mentioned to preserve the... Well not the innocent, but to preserve people. She came over and asked for a bottle opener. My can opener has one on it, so I leant that to her. Now I know what she's using it for, and I know that a lot of her problems are liquor based. I don't consider alcohol ethically wrong, but I also think that she would benefit from sobriety. So is it wrong of me to lend her the bottle opener? I have been, and will continue to be there to catch her when she falls, but it seems like I should lose my paladin abilities for this.

Sigh, so many thoughts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home