Sunday, February 04, 2007

Money for Nothing

I thought of a job I'd really like to have. Ambassador to Palau. Palau is a third world tiny island nation that we have no major ties to in any way, but we still have an ambassador to them. That's gotta be a sweet gig. Ambassador probably doesn't pay big money, but I bet it gets you straight to upper middle class, and you really wouldn't have to do anything for it. Basically I think I'd have to learn whatever language they speak in Palau, grab a few native art pieces for my office, and sit around browsing the Internet and looking busy. Then once a month hop on a government subsidised flight, go to Palau and basically say "Everyone okay?" When the people nod at you and go back to subsistence fishing you just give them all a big wave, get back on your federal jet and say "All right guys, see ya next month!" It's token courtesy and a free weekend in a by and large unspoiled tropical paradise. It wouldn't have to be Palau either. Any insignificant country will do. A good job, a good title, and all I have to do is pay token respect to a bunch of people I don't really interact with anyway.

Which reminds me, Happy Black History Month. One of the many things we do to pretend we care while continuing to exploit. Go America!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home