Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Harajuku Moment

The title of this blog is only for those of you who have read, or are reading, "The Four Hour Body." I'm about 50 pages into it, and I felt a need to record this.

I need to lose weight. I've known that for the better part of a decade, and it's been true for that entire decade. There's a lot of reasons, many of which are more valid then the one I'm going to describe, but I'm at a breaking point. It's not a dramatic "I can't take this any more" like it would be in a proper dramatic narrative. It's something simple where the workings of reality are forcing my hand.

I'm running out of clothes.

My regular rotation of clothing, not counting underwear or socks, consists of the same 7-10 things, and has for essentially the last year. I like those things, but they're starting to break down. The average person would simply go out and acquire new clothes when their old ones break down, but there's something else to consider.

My jeans are 60x32. My shirts are 5XT. Just in case you don't dabble in the big and tall shop world, 5XT is short for "Extra, extra, extra, extra, extra large tall." These items, the ones I'm wearing, are on the end of the spectrum for what big and tall shops sell. If I get any heavier there won't be any one selling the clothes I would need.

I'm running out of clothes, because I'm outgrowing the clothing industry.

It's ridiculous, I know, and I'm pointing it out in part so we can all have a good laugh at how ridiculous it is. In truth though, I'm writing this for me more then I'm writing it for you. I don't really want this information out on the web, it's embarrassing, but more importantly it's humiliating, in the old sense of the word. It forces me into a state of humility. I can't brush this off any more. I can't let this go any more. This has to be the moment where things change. And my first goal is really simple. I still have a lot of my old clothes. Looking over them I'm pretty sure I rapidly gained weight somewhere around 20 months ago, because I have some size 58 jeans that are in good shape, and a few that look almost unworn. I think that when I was unemployed and essentially killing time during the winter of 2009/2010 my extremely sedentary mildly depressed lifestyle pushed me up to where I am now. So my first goal is to acquire clothing I can wear, that isn't falling apart, and will actively protect me from the predicted cold the pacific northwest is about to face.

So, in short, I have from now until whenever that cold hits to drop enough weight to wear those old size 58 jeans. I'm semi-arbitrarily declaring Cold Season as starting November 1st. So I guess I'll get back to you then.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home