Thursday, January 06, 2011

Buy Local

I sat down the other day with a sandwich I'd just purchased. I got this from the local food co-op, where I go to buy illegal milk along with other obscure things, and as I bit into my treat a number of things occurred to me.

1. This is the best sandwich I have ever eaten.
2. This is the first time I've bought a wrapped grocery store sandwich, the kind you usually see at gas stations, and not felt like I'd paid too much.
3. This sandwich has tomatoes in it and I'm actually enjoying them.

This raised a number of questions, most prominently among them "If this is what food is supposed to taste like, what have I been eating up all this time?"

And this is why I want to encourage you all to buy local. There are a dozen other really good reasons on the political, environmental, social, and economic fronts, but those are all things people could easily dismiss as "Hippie B.S." The fact that such important things can be so easily dismissed disturbs me, but that's not my point. My point is that free range meat tastes better. Local vegetables are fresher and hence taste better. Organically grown and raised products are better not just in all of the ways that count, but they also Taste Better. If for no other reason then this I encourage you all to hit up the local co-ops and farmers markets. If you don't trust all of the social, economic, and environmental activists at least trust your own tongue. Buy Local.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home