Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Contraction

I'm a firm believer in using vernacular contractions in text based conversations (World of Warcraft) but doing so only with proper punctuation. Example


Other gamer: Whered you find that, Ive been looking but i cant find anything similar.
Max: I've been looking for something that'd do basically this for a while.
Max: You can't find an item that'll allow you to do it regularly though, because this one is a quest item.

This brings me to my curent problem. How do you properly punctuate the word "wadja"

What did you
Wadja

Wa'd'ja? It seems wrong to have two "'"s in a single contration. It's annoying particularly because Where'd ya, and how'd ya are both 2 word phases. Only with the word "what" do you get the single word for the full question. My current thinking is that you'd leave it entirelly unpuncuated, based on the word "dunno"

I don't know
Dunno

"Dunno" is used frequently in that form. No punctuation is applied at all. However its a fairly common word, and the lack of punctuation could be based on standard gamer laziness. I've used the TLA IDK to solve this.

TLA = Three Letter Acronym. Yes I'm aware of the irony of this.
IDK = I don't know

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home