Thursday, April 20, 2006

News from the front

[Please begin reading from the post entitled "The Six"]

I speak to you now from the "Holding at +1" phase of this invocation of Hexpresso. For those of you who don't know, which is everyone, let me explain the slider. The key thing to remember is that it's expoential. The Diffrence between 0 and 1 is only half the diffrence between 1 and 2.

0 is a state of normal awakeness. If you're well rested and uncaffinated you're at 0. The scale goes up to +10 and down to -10. At -10 you'll spontaneously lose conciousness, at -8 you're incredibly sleepy and likely to fall asleep at any given time when not actively doing something vigerous. -7 through -4ish are levels of caffene induced stupor that are critically hindering, -3 through -2 are hindering but manageable, and -1 isn't that bad. Positive 1 is slightly more awake then normal. I find that I can run more effectively at positive 1, and spend a great deal of my time there. Positive 2 and positive 3 are greater states of mental alacrtity. Actually, when not sleep deprived and on concerta I'd say I'm somewhere around positive 2, but I don't have time for a full rant on the comparison study of caffiene and concerta. Positive 3 is where the consequences of raising your level begin to show. You'll lose a lot of focus to bathroom trips, and you may begin to feel a little nervous. At +5 I begin to enter a cold sweat phase, and begin to get the first signs of twitchy-ness. It's not spasmatic yet, but I would have difficulty holding my hand out level. Positive 6 is usually acompanied by a heartrate which is raised enough to induce a very mild sense of false nervousness. This isn't always true, and with practice it goes away. What dosn't go away is a sort of muscle lock. It's almost like being spontaneously stiff. You'll have a hard time moving fluidly, but will develop freakish reflexes for moving jerkily. Positive 7 is probably the highest point you can really raise yourself to. At positive 7 you'll beging twitching, but you're mind will be firing with the reaction speed of a psychotic rabit in an artillry range (formerly mine field). Beyond 7 things begin to get hazy. 7 is when you'll first begin to experience what I would call premature synaptic firing. Focusing yourself becomes a complex dance to make sure your brain flies along the right path. At 8 it gets much worse. You'll almost certainly be twitching at 8 as well. I've only gotten to what I would describe as 9 once. It wasn't fun either. The muscle lock gets bad enough that it's hard to walk properly. Your brain is firing constantly without doing anything, just going from nowhere to nowhere and back again. You twitch in a way that isn't really violent, but it is freaky as hell. You'll dehydrate yourself within 30 minutes due to the cumulative diaretic effects. It's like being tazed but over a long period of time. I've never reached positive 10, but I assume you die of heart failure.

The other key thing to know is that the number is made up of how caffinated you are, and how much actual sleep you've gotten. Right now I'm running "Pure" meaning that I've got essentially 0 actual sleep. This is the problem with having to spend all week doing your other homework to make room for doing your math homework early in order to make room for studying for your math test. And anyone who thinks I should've just done my homework last week would kindly direct themselves to the two tests I had last week, after which they should proceed directly to hell. Do not pass go, do not collect $200.

The key thing when running pure is that you still get the increase in mind-speed, but you lack a sort of concious coherence. It's a lot like dimentia, but it's a layer of dimentia over what is slowly becoming a perfect left brain machine. You can also embrace the dimentia, something I've found helps me when doing right brained projetcs. The longer you run pure the more you lose. The epitomy of this is entering an almost trance like state. You're speed enhanced brain drops down to a subconcious thing, your concious mind essentially disolves, and you attain an almost Zen state of unconcious action. It's tricky as hell, but do able. I'm not shooting for it this time, I'm not in the proper state to achive it at the proper time for the right duration, but I've used it in the past with amazing results.

I'll keep you guys updated as I go through the rest of the phases, mostly because I need excuses to give myself breaks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home