Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Hypnotic Pattern

I’ve said on more then one occasion that I have a certain fondness for Jerry Holkins, better known as Tycho. While I think just slapping the label of Fan Boy on me and sending me on my merry little way may still be a legitimate option, I think it’s a bit more legitimate then that. I’ve always felt a sort of connection to him, someone I recognize as being someone like me. I’ve done things like this more then once. And I’ve always felt the relationship shown in the second panel of this is a good analogy to my life. In this one Tycho is me, and the rest of the world, the masses if you will, is Gabe.

For those of you who don’t share my hobby/obsession Gabe is the one in the yellow pac-man shirt. If you can’t figure out the rest of it by the process of elimination you’re no longer allowed to read this blog.

If you’ve been around me long enough you’ve probably heard my bitter emo lamentations on the predictability of humanity, and my incredibly arrogant belief that I can file people into various patterns. The fact that I recognize that this patterning is also true of myself may mitigate my egotism somewhat. It may even mean that this is just another manifestation of poor self esteem; I’m not here to discuss this kind of stuff though.

I have another data point to support the patterning effect. Look at Tycho’s Desk. You'll have to scroll down but it's there.

Most of you have seen the way I live. It’s creepy how similar the two are isn’t it? I attribute it to a disconnect between reality and the world in which people that fall into this pattern live. A form of introversion seems to be a running theme. I think those two aspects are connected

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home