Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Video Games, Politics, and Brutality

Remember battlefield 2? If you don't scroll down, it's there somewhere. In addition to being able to play as the Chinese, and I mentioned before, you can play as the MEC, or Middle East coalition. Knowing what I do about Middle Eastern politics I think it's just as valid to call the MEC the Saudis as it is to call the Coalition of the Willing the Americans, but that's a whole separate rant.

One of the levels in BF2 is called "Gulf of Oman" I haven't checked, but I'm pretty sure that the Gulf of Oman is a real place near the Persian Gulf in Saudi Arabia. The level itself is amazingly similar to what actual American troops are dealing with in Iraq. It's an Arab village, you fight door to door, and safe cover is rare and usually insubstantial. It's an incredibly chaotic battle as well. I've been in a position of absolute confidence as me and 5 other troops perforate the American infidel and take back a key outpost, then an Abrams M1A2 tank rolls onto the scene and the entire balance of power is shifted. Its a combat scenario which is just brutal. I've been on both ends of the "X has to cover this 20' span, but Y is perched in one of the many windows with a 20.06 snipers rifle waiting for him to come out from behind that overturned jeep" I've also been in the "My friend X has to cover this 20' but Y is perched in one of the many windows with a 20.06 snipers rifle waiting for him to come out from behind that overturned jeep, but Y is paying too much attention to his scope and not enough attention to the other person (me) inside the building leveling an MP5 at his head."

From my perspective it's brutal, and my perspective is that of someone who won't actually die as a result of these situations. It makes me feel for the American soldiers. I'm still mad at whatever clandestine cabal it is that's directing bush and lead to the current war, but I feel bad for those who are just doing their duty, and getting put through brutal situations because of it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home