Monday, May 22, 2006

Project Exodus

The whole "Job" Frontier is being heavily marred by the fact that I want a job three months from now. The most common response I get is "Well, I can't guarantee anything, but ask again in September." It's annoying, but it's also exactly what I thought would happen. That fact annoys me even more.

Housing... I've got some good leads, and I'm going to start the "Actually looking for housing" phase soon. I've discussed
No that's not true,
I've talked to,
No that's not true either,
I've exchanged a short series of E-mails with Kevin about rooming together, I'm not sure either of us has committed to it yet but it sounds like a great arrangement to me. He provides valuable knowledge about the area and I...

Anyway I've got a few places I'm going to look into, Everything fits my minimum requirement of being "Better then the dorms" but most places that aren't actively on fire are better then the dorms. I'm going to try to live in one of the areas surrounding the UW area, and possibly still within the UW area.

I've also decided that when I come back up here it'll be best to do it in a truck. I just got done cleaning my room and it's abundantly clear that I've got too much stuff. I'm planning on mailing at least one box of stuff home, because I don't think it can all be stowed safely in the overhead compartment.

I've also got another non-confirmed half arraigned deal with Kevin to store My Eric's Fridge in his garage over the summer, along with my TV, and possibly a few other items. I'll probably pay him/his parents rent for it, but it shouldn't be too much.

All that said I have a few grim realizations, and a horribly self indulgent proposition.

Realization 1: If I can't get a job several months in advance, I may have to get my job after moving back to Seattle.

realization 2: This means I'll be leaching off my parents for a month, in addition to any partial leaching I do in following months.

Assuming I have to give in to those, I'd like to point out one more thing. My schedule is no longer dictated by UW quarters, so I can come back to Seattle slightly earlier then originally planned. Which means I can go to PAX. Some of you may recall my ranting at not being able to go to PAX the last two years, and my wail of anguish when I realized that despite living in Seattle I'd still miss it. I was going to miss it again because it starts August 26th.

With a great clamor and an utterance of most profound grief I did wail.

Well now nobody is telling me that I start at the end of September. So what's to stop me from going earlier, leaching for a month-ish while I job search, and finally getting to go to PAX?

The fact that this plan is self-indulgent tripe. I can't square the fact that my 'rents would be paying my way for 2 weeks or so.

Idea!

I can accumulate money over the summer, I've already got plans to get one of these "Job" things during that most damned period of heat and light. If I can save up a months rent, I can go...

I've got a lot more scheming, and possibly some conniving, to do, but I like this idea more and more as I think about it. Due diligence requires me to point out that it's probably only because the idea lets me go to PAX, but... Well screw that guy, I want to go to PAX damnit.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well...I think rooming with you would be a good idea too...I just have two obstacles....three but the last one's a given.....one: how do I get to work which is 30 miles away?, two: Double Chaos...three: can I budget myself? (I'm pretty damn cheap so it should be fine) The second one is the the one that worries me the most. I've talked with other people about rooming but as with Double Chaos, I'm unstable with where my life is going and how do I really know if I want an apartment or is it just another whimsical fancy? I mean, it would be bad if I had some grand calling and had to cut out halfway through the lease...and I can find work in seattle.....oh...also....65th Street..around Roosevelt....go there...there's like....5 natural healing shops within one 10 block section.....it's just east by southeast of green lake (google earth it if you don't know)

9:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home