Thursday, May 11, 2006

Project Exodus

I’ve done a lot of research today, and I’ve learned several things. It looks like $700 is the standard rate for apartments around here, but a lot of those are two bedrooms so I could split it with someone. Also it’s 4k for a single room for a quarter at the dorms, or 3.4k for a double. So the rent on the dorms is roughly $1,000 a month, and for that much you really should get something better then this, but it’s the convenient option. It’s just like the overpriced mediocre (tops) quality food downstairs. It’s not good, but it’s too damn convenient. So when I come back to UW (Remember, Gap year, not dropping out) I plan to live off campus.

I’ve found a few potential places to do unskilled/semi-skilled labor. I don’t think I can find one at an alternative medicine/spiritual healing center but that was a pipe dream anyway. The days of the apprenticeship are gone, now its 4 years of training then an internship, which is basically the modern term for apprenticeship.

One thing I haven’t decided on is whether or not to take that one class per quarter I’ve been thinking about. I still plan on going towards a Pharm. D. degree. Required credits for application are:

General Biology with Labs 15 credits
General Chemistry with Labs 15 credits
Organic Chemistry with Labs 15 credits
English Composition 10 credits
Calculus 5 credits (Finished already)
Statistics 5 credits
Microbiology with lab 5 credits
Humanities Electives 10 credits (I think I have 5 already)
Social Science Electives 10 credits (I think I have 5 already)

This is essentially two full years at UW, assuming I continue taking 3 classes a quarter after my gap year. I may have to take more, we’ll see. In addition to these credits I’ll need to take a PCAT (Pharmacy College Admissions Test) but I’ll burn down that bridge when I come to it.

As far as learning the alternative medicine it’s a trickier situation. The Seattle Gnostic center looks interesting, but it’s mostly self development rather then training in applied practice. There are classes in Kekumu here as well though (Hawaiian mana healing techniques) which look interesting. There’s also a huge amount to be learned through books and practice. I’m considering setting up another herb garden; something more diverse and better tended then my last one though. I have a lot of thoughts but nothing conclusive yet though.

I’ll post more as I develop it.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This would likely be far-ish away....and may not even happen....but I'd be willing to split an apartment with you....oh and yes....you certainly did call it...*highfive*

8:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home