Sunday, June 29, 2008

Judging by Covers

Immediately inside each of our rooms is a book. This is true of Kevin's room because it is aptly referred to as his "hovel" and there's essentially no open space on his floor anywhere. It's true of Adam's room because I was cleaning out the restroom and one aspect of my militant cleaning style involves haphazardly tossing peoples things into their rooms, and it's true of my room because I've found that bracing my door open with a book funnels the wind through our apartment in a pleasant way, which has become very important given that this is quickly shaping up to be the second 90 degree day I've faced in the air conditioning free city of Seattle. The books themselves are interesting glimpses into their respective owners.

"Secrets of Sarlona," the Ebberon Campaign setting source book is on Kevin's floor. It immediately identifies him as a gamer, but also as an escapist, but not a super abstract thinker. It takes several more steps of madness then the average crazy has to escape into the vast void and spin your own world, a campaign setting book shows that he wants to go somewhere else, but also would like that somewhere else to be there in a definitive way.

"The Communist Manifesto," is laying just inside Adam's door. You could read deeply into this, but I think it speaks more to his role as a deviant politico in a way that is much more valid then the painfully common self described "alternative thinkers" that clog Seattle's many bistros, feeding the capitalist system with their endless demand for needlessly complex lattes and places to speak ill about the capitalist system.

"Case Histories of Deviant Behaviors," is the book holding my door open. I'm a bit more wary then I once was about evaluating myself, but I can say with confidence that this shows that my life long interest in matters cerebral is finally taking on a more scholastic methodology. Social anthropologist, personality hacker, and mentalist were all terms that I wanted to use because they sound cool and are almost valid, but really this just shows that I've passed my teenage phase of asserting that I know people, and gotten around to getting some more valid data on my specimens. And yes I have asserted the entirety of humanity, myself included, as my specimens.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home