Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Walking

I've known for a while about the power of exercise. It's one of the only things that really works as a cure all. It's also the gist of all of the new "working with the body" medical stuff. As someone with an interest in psychology I also already knew that regular exercise is a more effective treatment then most medications for the more common cases of A.D.D., depression, anxiety, and insomnia. This is largely due to the fact that that vast majority of these cases shouldn't be diagnosed as actual mental disorders, but that's not the point here.

I've just recently started reading Brain Rules(Medina 2007), and it turns out that pretty rigorous testing has also shown that it makes you smarter. Better health means better blood flow, which makes the brain work better, which makes you smarter. That's the gist of it anyway. I was laying back thinking about this, and reflecting on life in general, and I decided that I was going to walk to pikes.

According to my jog tracker I went several hundred miles at an average speed that would be high for most cars. This is because the GPS sattelite coverage was sparse, and something (I'm thinking the large metal I-5 Bridge) caused the system to believe that I had just jumped from Eastlake to Bremerton and back, a few times, in the space of fourty seconds. A much more intelligent program tells me that this ended up being roughly 4.5 miles. This is far short of the 12 miles primitive humans walked each day, but it seems to be a lot by modern standards. It felt good too. It was simple, traveling for travelings sake, without the imperitive of any real destination.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home