Friday, March 24, 2006

Pike's Journey

So I went back to Pikes. I wandered around some more, There's an indoor portion of it too as it turns out. Inside are numerous grand esoterica shops many of which fit my esoterica needs. They tended to have better supply then those on the Ave as well, but with a noteworthy lack of convince. The inner portion was non half-giant compatible in a way that didn't bug me. It's architecture is chaotic and almost organic, I didn't fit but it was okay because this building didn't grow around me, it grew around the regulars who all seemed to know when to duck and when to strafe through a narrow aisle.

I bought some of the organic produce, I'll let you know how that goes. I didn't buy any of the ultra-fresh seafood because I don't know essentially anything about cooking seafood, but I plan to look it up, get my tuxedo T-shirt and have a fine lobster dinner one of these days.

I accomplished my shopping goal which was to buy more pants. I lose one pair to wear and tear. I knew they had been wearing down, which is reasonable given that I've had them for well over a year, and possibly over 3, but the washing process dealt the final blow, and what had once been a thin spot turned into a hole. I'm considering patching them, but for the mean time I'm down a pair. I also lost a pair due to a pyrotechnics accident. I was outside on the basketball court balancing half a plastic Easter egg which I had filled most of the way with napthalene. It rocked more violently then expected, splashed me, and burned a patch of one of my pairs of jeans. I'm fine, and it didn't burn through, but while trying to scrub out the burn I scrubbed out the fabric, making a hole bigger then would be easily patchable. It's also worth note to the parents that I did this after telling a person who was reading on the steps nearby to help if I called for it, and that I was wearing goggles and gloves at the time. Thanks go to Kevin for the goggles.

It's an interesting eventuality that I returned to this store. The first time I went downtown I went with my F.I.G. group. We we're assigned to take pictures and note key sites etc. It's part of the classes general "Make the students adapt to the new living space" thing. When we first got off I took a picture of the Big and Tall shop, my figmates gave me weird looks, but I responded simply that "To me that's a very important store." I didn't question it then and I don't question it now, but I actually hadn't gone to that store until today. I have a history of wearing things until they break, so I don't have to buy clothes very often, but I'm glad that I got off there and created that memory, because I doubt any of the normal people clothes shops could fit me.

On a directly related note I'm probably going on a pseudo diet/weight loss program of my own highly unspecific design. I haven't felt particularly motivated to do this since my historical successful attempt at it. I've been... Well not skinny, but non-fat, and really it didn't seem much better. However, I've grown annoyed enough at the half-giant incompatibility that I'm going to take some measure to reduce the aspect of that which I have control of.

The plan is very simple. My diet doesn't have enough vegetables in it, and I should probably do more exercise. I'd tried the vegetables thing earlier but I find that I don't go to safeway enough to have greens around that I can rely upon not to be spoiled. It's general a 3 day or so period before it beings to pass it's prime. So now, every day, I'll walk the 10 blocks to safeway, buy vegetables for just that night, walk 10 blocks back, then cook and eat them. More exercise because I'm adding a mile or 2 to my daily allotment of walking, and more vegetables because that's why I'm walking there in the first place.

Back to today's wanderings. I took the bus back from the downtown/pikes place area up to 47th and began walking. I noticed university video is going out of business. It's kind of a shame, but I rarely went there anyway so it isn't that big of a deal to me, although I will miss the irony of having a place which advertises it's adult videos located directly beneath a Tai-Chi center.

I am the patron saint of Irony.

Going out of business means one clear thing to me. Cheap videos. My TV has a built in VCR, and VHS tapes go for next to nill these days, so I decided to root around. I got some pretty good finds. Neon Genesis Evangelion, I think I got the movie. It's called Genesis 0:6 The 4th child. I'll have consult Kevin on this one, as he's the one who introduced me to the series.

The thing that gets me is that Genesis 0:6 is the first stage of the creation of Heaven. It's "And God said, let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters." That's according to the Christian script anyway. I studied genesis in Hebrew, It's key to know that the word "Shemaim" means sky, while "Maim" means water. I think in the torah the verse is translated to show God Dividing heaven from sky, which makes a great deal of sense because the next verses refer to God dealing with the water that becomes heaven, and the water below heaven. It's also interesting that God, according to genesis, creates dry land from a fully watered world. I've heard it said that this is a bible code thing showing that humanity evolved from sea creatures, but I'm pretty sure I could work the bible code around to find the phrase "The Bible Code is all lies" if I tried hard enough. I'm essentially certain I could do it if I was allowed to use geomatria.

Wow, I got way on a tangent there. Anyway, I also got the original 1975 rollerball, which I've heard is good but have never seen, and one of the midnight madness series to answer my ongoing question of "Who is Elvira outside of the pinball machine in the hub game room."

I then went to safeway to find that they were still out of pesto. It's been 5 days now, when are those punks going to restock. I went to walgreens which doesn't sell Pesto, but I admit I suspected that before I even walked in the door.

I then went to trader Joes, which did have pesto. I also noticed a few very interesting things. All of the clerks are 20ish year old males, none of them are clean shaven, most of them have long hair. Hippies. Most of the people there who were clearly adults and not still in the grey area quagmire of "young adult" were buying wine. They were also buying groceries, but a lot of wine is being sold there. The key thing though is that my husky card may work there, I didn't ask this time because I'd been walking for the past 4 hours, was carrying my pikes stuff, my safeway stuff, and my videos, and generally felt like going home, but I plan to ask later.

And.... That's it. The new kid should arrive any day now, I half expect him to arrive today, but it's getting on the day for that to happen. I plan to do the last stage of my withdrawal from what will be his space after I finish typing this up. Conrad hasn't begun withdrawing, but has mentioned that he may live at home this quarter. He's more annoyed by the triple room thing then I am. It's a matter of how active of a roommate people are. Eric was barely there at all. He was extremely tidy, and only went back and forth between his bed and his computer. He kept to himself, and didn't say much. Most of my conversations with him consisted of him asking if he could have a pop tart and me saying sure. I think I may be similar. I'm not tidy by any means, but I keep to myself mostly. I'm not nearly as withdrawn as Eric was, and thankfully I'm not at his level of MMORPG addiction (it had him by the horn) but I think I'm also a less active presence then average. Assuming the new kid is average level of presence we'll be at an all time high, and that's what I think bugs Conrad the most. He needs his space, so to speak. I can sympathies with it, but I've also learned to just roll with things like this. I've benefited immensely from taking up the practice of "rolling with it."

Also, for the record, the blogger spellcheck Sucks. I'm spellchecking these things in word from now on.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that isn't the EVA movie....it's just one of the tapes of the series. The VHS tapes of the series was about 12 or so of them and they were labled Genesis: 01-12 or something...so you got one of the mid-later tapes in the series. It's actually that episode that we both saw on TV at UW and within one second I said "I know what episode this is." If you recall that. The movie is called End of Evangelion. Look for it in DVD, it has great audio commentaries.

3:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home