Friday, March 24, 2006

Pike's Place Market (part 1)

I left at around 7:30 to go to pikes place market. I was clearly having no luck sleeping, so I decided to do something will all my wakefulness.

Pikes is actually only a few blocks from the area I call downtown. It's a perfect fringe zone. It's a place where the Normie-Deviant gap is bridged. As a deviant I felt right at home, but most of the people there who aren't working there are people I'd call normies. It's a place where normal people can go for something a little outlandish and a place where outlandish people can be amongst their own kind.

On a semi-related noted there was an ordinance recently in Seattle that vastly limited strip clubs. After going to pike's I'm convinced it was done primarily to chase the strip clubs out of Pikes. The makret is a well known place and Normie P.R. doesn't like the giant Showgirls Theatre in their scenic view.

There was one key problem though. I was there at around 8:30. The place opens at 10. I expect to have a great time there, Later Today. It's about 9:40 now, I'm gonna get a nap and head back around noon.

One thing I must report on though is the fish. The scents of the market are amazing because there are huge numbers of flour and fruit stands, and vast fish stands. The scent doesn't change gradually either, for reasons I cannont understand you pass through a wall and go instantly from bright yellow flowers to fresh Alaskan Halibut. And they mean fresh. I asked the guy about it and he said that the giant fish that was sitting on ice before me had been caught less then 12 hours ago. I plan to look up how to cook either lobster or crab and hit up one of the ludicrously fresh seafood places.

The Freshness also applies to farm products. All of the local hippie organic farmers come to Pikes to sell their genetically inferior, but fresh and delicious food. While I'm still a supporter of G.M. foods, I will say that in general I like organics better. I think that if I could get G.M. food farm fresh it would be equal, but I can't, and getting farm fresh organics is really easy in the north west.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home