Friday, April 14, 2006

Unforseen Consequences

There's one thing that I had forgotten about electromagnetics.

It's a fascinating subject, so many interesting applications, strange functions, force at a distance etc. etc. etc. The thing I had neglected though is that it's freakin hard. I can harken back to high school where I would be the only one to get it right, but that's when I'd look up from a scrawled series of half-formulae and say

"It's one over four pi little backwards three thingy times twice the quantity of the charge times the distance between the endpoints over little r squared."

I also recall one glorious day where the entire day was solving one rediculously complex circut problem. after about 10 minutes of trying to draw it on paper I shoved my notebook violently off the table and took over the secondary whiteboard. With violent slashig motions and manic hurried scribbling I constructed a vast and complex circut for no good reason. When I looked up from my masterwork of scientific fury and asked that it be checked I was told that it was correct, but it wouldn't be accepted until I drew it using straight lines and legible numbers.

An more and more I feel the need for a giant wall that I can write on. A wall sized whiteboard, or just a blank slate wall that I can spay paint without consequence. Then again this is just the idle dreamings of a man who lives in a 10 x 20 room with another person and more furniture then I really want.

Also, as a cryptic side note. I finally understand Gauss's Law again, I understand it after the homework, but before the test. So at least this is one time where I can get a low homework grade and not be struck by the immidiate feeling that I should've worked on it more, now it's low because I'm just not smart enough, a problem which is completely beyond my control.

Ahh sweet futility, free me from the burden of responsibility.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home