Saturday, March 17, 2007

Severed

My Computer is Broken.

As a technophile and a denizen of the Internet this is a crippling blow. I'm severed from my vast array of resources and contacts. Needless to say I'm doing everything in my power to rectify this situation.

How did this happen, you may ask. Well I was moving the tower so that I could clean the area around it, it's been a while since I've done this and it's become necessary, and when I put the tower back it wouldn't start up. I restarted it and it would start running, but no signal was going to the monitor, and the system began emitting a harsh siren like beep. Alienware's automated tech support offers me no assistance, they have a live help service, but it's not available until Monday.

I should premise this next bit by saying that no matter how many theories I have I ultimately don't know what's going on, but I'm fairly certain it's a heating issue. Either a fan was knocked loose while I was moving it (which would be some form of inverse miracle) or the system was running kind of hot before and wants to cool down before restarting. Both are possible. I was going to open the box up, but I don't have the little "Tubular Key" that Alienware uses to lock their cases. The lock isn't very complex, a series of paperclips should allow me to unlock it, but in the meantime I'm sealed out. I'm hoping that this will be resolved in a way that doesn't involve me buying a new computer or losing all the of stuff I have on my current one. Browsing the "Maxonian Invasion Territory" folder on Kevin's hard drive I see that while I had the wisdom to back up all of my torrented amusements I didn't ever archive my various digital photographs. I have much of those scattered to various CDs, and stored conveniently on Facebook, but it will still be annoying.

If proverbial push does come to shove and I have to get a new computer I almost certainly won't end up buying an entirely new one. I'll buy a new case and probably a new motherboard, but I should be able to get everything else I need by cannibalizing my previous machine. I'll probably try to get some kind of liquid cooling system set up as well.

Ugh. My mind is racing through all of the things that I use the machine for. Luckily I still have my laptop, which is how I'm writing this now, but that's on loan to Kevin until he fixes his laptop which is also out of commission.

I'm done worrying about this for now. I'm going to go play Crackdown. Normal people have their comfort foods and their easy going comedy shows to nurture them when their stressed, gamers take comfort in blowing things up.

Maybe we are messed up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home