Saturday, April 28, 2007

The Call of The Severer

During the time that I wasn't playing as a DM, and then the time that I wasn't playing D&D at all I was gradually gathering ideas for encounters and situations that would make good D&D content. Once you do enough world design and adventure design you kind of can't stop doing it. These ideas were all just hanging around in the back of my head, and I had a glorious vision.

What if I could put all of them, despite how crazy they are, into one massive campaign, and what if I could make that campaign a single epic dungeon.

I wrote out my proposal to the facebook group, and I'm going to be running it in the fall. I've got a lot of enthusiasm for it, and the standard level of bravado, but I honestly think they have no idea what they're in for. I've always been a bit of a cinematic DM, and one willing to bend the rules to make things more dramatic, but this is going to be epic. I've divided the whole thing into 25 levels, each of which has a boss, and the setting gradually changes as you progress. Let me give you a taste of the breadth of situations.

One level has the entire group on a boat in an underground river, you have to deal with the creatures in the water and on the cave while maneuvering the boat and making sure that nothing destroys the boat. Kind of hard to swim in plate mail after all.

Another encounter throws the party into the middle of an active cavalry battle. Will they take sides? They could try and sneak away, but the real issue is will they manage to do anything, including securing mounts for themselves, before they're overrun.

During one encounter an enemy cleric casts Miracle, a spell of the maximum level that costs a lot of XP and is basically capable of doing anything, they use this spell at the beginning of a boss battle to automatically take out one of the party members chosen at random.

At one point they have to confront an insane mage who is literally invincible. Clever use of their surroundings is the only way to defeat him.

About 2/3s of the way through they cross the sands of pandemonium, and a few levels literally take place in hell.

It's hard to describe my enthusiasm for the project, but I think it's going to be great.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home