Sunday, April 22, 2007

Politics

Out of the standard designations I would say that I'm a libertarian, but I once took an Internet test designed to show you your designation, and I think they were right when they called me a nihilist.

Politics right now is about the 2008 presidential run, and about the Gonzales attorney scandal. As far as that scandal goes I really don't care any more. If you were surprised by it you probably aren't paying close enough attention. The actual proceedings I found amusing and disturbing. I keep expecting Gonzales to say "Dude I was so high" because it's the only thing that would explain his utter inability to recall. Well, that or a serious psychological trauma of some sort. Out of all the incriminating e-mails muck rakers have dredged up the only thing that sticks with me is the phrase "Loyal Bushie." It goes well with another phrase that's floating around, "I serve at the pleasure of the president." At this point I'd like to begin screaming, but it wouldn't get anything done and I'm tried of screaming and getting nothing done. The key thing I would have to say is that a good politician in a representative democracy serves the people not the president. Remember the revolution people, Monarchy=bad.

As for the 2008 elections I'm only interested in them because it's another game I can play. I can make predictions and have essentially no control over the outcome and see how well I judged the situation. I've gone from activism to pessimism and now to whimsy. First off I think it goes blue. You can only tear down our credibility, our economy, and our society for six or seven years before we begin to do something about it. So it's basically a fight between Hill-dog and Hussein. Nice try Edwards, you don't have enough of a gimmick to win. I think it goes Clinton in the long run but that's based entirely on the assumption that she'll get the female vote simply for being female. I don't actually like Hillary, she's proven her willingness to harp to the Values people in the past, and I don't trust her to do anything that will help me in any way. I don't really see a reason to support Obama either, but that's because I haven't heard anything from him that wasn't rhetoric. In the end I don't think either of them will really help me.

However, Today is Earth Day, and because of that the buses were free. This means that environmentalism saved me $1.25, and because of that should he choose to run Al Gore will get my vote. I don't think he'll do anything either, but the cause that he champions saved me a buck twenty-five so he's ahead of everyone else.

All of this is, of course, able to be overturned in one swift blow. I may be the only one, but I still hold fast to the belief that should he choose to run you could not stop Joe-Mentum.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home