Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The Cleansing Power of the Board

As I lay down to sleep I find myself all too often facing a barrage of subjects which I want to spend a great deal of time thinking and perhaps writing about. This isn't a problem in and of itself, but it keeps me from getting to sleep. In an act that is itself the very definition of "meta" I was thinking about this last night as I was trying to get to sleep, dealing with the fact that I shouldn't really be exploring these subjects now, but also noting that they're all things that are worth exploring. An idea occurred to me, and I quickly turned on the lights, and wrote out all of the subjects that were floating around my mind on my white board. As I lay back down I found myself thinking about how powerful of a gesture that had been. My mind was so easily cleansed simply by writing it down. Naturally, it occurred to me that this itself was something that I'd like to think and perhaps write about. This is why there is an addition to my list of subjects written sloppily in the marker that was easiest to find which reads: "The cleansing power of the board & the irony of writing this blind in the dark at 2:38 a.m."

Which brings me to my real point. Somewhere along the line I developed the skills necessary to write a perfect ampersand on a slant with a marker in the dark while trying to go to sleep.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home