Sunday, August 31, 2008

Spy Check

I'm not entirely sure how to convey just how awesome this story is to people who aren't nerds, but I'm going to give it a shot.

First of all you have to understand that I am a huge fan of Team Fortress 2. A big fan of the game, a big fan of the marketing campaign, and I came very very close to cosplaying this year, it was only the recency of this fandom that prevented me from walking into PAX and declaring that I am Heavy Weapons Guy.

Next year. I've got designs for the props in mind and I own 90% of the costume, and I've already proven myself willing to shave my head with only the barest of reasons. I'm also going to try to rally on the PAX forums to see if I can get a whole team. That's not the point of this story though.

Anyway, what I did see there were two people going around who were together a Red Engineer, and a Blue Spy (pictures to come), which amused me to no end. I saw them around three or four times that day, but most notably they were a part of one of the bands that was playing before the one I was with in the Raven Theater Rock Band Freeplay.

What they were playing is unimportant because in that moment so much came together to form one of the best gamer moments I've ever seen. The group was reaching, and the controls had been giving everyone problems all day, and eventually the Engineer who was on drums failed out. As he did his spy friend reached up and performed a perfect mimic of the Backstabbing maneuver from the game, and the Engineer reacting perfectly collapsed over his drum kit. This got a laugh, but what really made it all come together was when someone from the back of the crowd shouted, in a great mimic of the Engineers voice, "Someone is Sappin' Mah DrumKit!"

It was amazing, but above all else it was a paradigm gamer moment because if you haven't seen TF2 then there's no way to make you understand why.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home