Monday, March 27, 2006

City of Villans

I’ve got class in… 5 hours, but I’m up now in a way which is clearly nervousness based, so I figure I may let you guys in on my new game.

You may recall that I had started playing DDO, which I described as a highly innovated and new kind of game, and it is. However innovative and new aren’t always good, so I took the $40 of my expense account that I had queued up for the next 3 months subscription that game and instead bought City of Villains.

City of Villains is kind of the sequel and kind of the expansion pack to City of Heroes, a game which I’ve played a great deal in the past. CoH is most remarkable for the pure drama of its game play. It’s a word where everyone fights in comic book levels of cinematic flair, and the fight where a player charged into 12 enemies is routine and one that the player will win.

City of heroes is also well known for being a game with an amazing costume system, and CoV is no different. I’ve had a lot of fun with the newly added villain costume options. However I was never a costume creation addict as much as I was a character concept addict.

My first was a classic artistic rebellion. While CoV is filled with people who are obviously supernatural, mutants, monsters, and the anti-super heroes dressed in their skull adorned dark spandex, my first character had a very mundane back-story. He’s of the mastermind archetype, meaning that his key power is summoning minions, and his combat style obeys one very simple theory. Nobody gets by 7 people with machine guns. He doesn’t have any glowing powers, the only clearly supernatural thing he can do is super jump, which is loads of fun, but He moves in and the sound effects created by me and my currently only 3, minions just Hosing the enemy with lead is great. He’s not super, He’s just a tricky a bastard. He’s Slyz.

My next was an attempt at the brute archetype. I love their concept. They’re the tanks of the game, but their damage dealing is also listed as high, because every time a brute takes damage, or deals damage, they get a small amount of fury. The more fury a brute has the more damage is dealt by their attacks. I added into this my interesting costume idea based around being a killer robot. The Idea of a robot berserker amused me. The Bio for this character, something most people leave blank shamefully says, “The Ultimate robot warrior. Slyz Mk II was constructed for unknown purposes by a scientist gone completely insane. Possessing only a minimal A.I. Slyz Mk II feels not emotions. And it makes him SO ANGRY.”

Once again, I, Max Willson, am the Patron Saint of Irony.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home