Sunday, March 18, 2007

Triumph

So I now have renewed humility when it comes to my knowledge of computer hardware, but renewed faith in my innate mechanical luck.

It took me about fifteen minutes to fashion a tubular key out of a paperclip, It would've gone a lot faster if I'd tried making a faux key first, instead of trying to little tension bars for each of the four tumblers. Upon opening the case up I didn't see any real issues. I examined everything thoroughly, nothing was burned or damaged or shaken in any way. I tried to install the extra RAM that Chris had brought home one day, but my motherboard uses a different format. And don't bother asking, the conditions that lead to one finding RAM just laying around completely allude me.

Examining the internals of my machine I realized that I don't know quite as much as I thought I did. The most troubling thing was that I couldn't locate my sound card. The sound ports seemed to be wired to the motherboard, is it integrated to the motherboard? I really can't say. Despite the new found dearth in my technical knowledge I still knew enough to conclude that there were no hardware problems with my machine, and after some dusting I closed it back up, and decided to try it one last time to see if some kind of invisible hand had cured my machine while I was staring at its components.

And apparently it had. The PC booted eventually, it threw a bizarre error "The CPU has been changed" but it's running fine now. The only reasonable conclusion I can make is that the fan over the CPU had been knocked loose in some way, and that I had inadvertently fixed it while dusting it. Then again if this really was a heating issue it could've been one of the other seven fans in my machine that was loosened and inadvertently fixed. Maybe the problem was the dust itself, I really can't say but it's functioning and I'm not going to question it. With this in mind, and with a new found understand of how tenuous its function may be, I'm going to go backup everything of even moderate worth onto Kevin's hard drive.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home