Thursday, September 04, 2008

Words of Madness

As someone who has fond memories of Napster I decided long ago that I wouldn't be buying anything that I could download, but I'm also a supporter of various fringe groups which I feel I should support in much more substantial way. This is why I purchased "Great Old Ones" by Darkest of the Hillside Thickets before going home and stealing everything they've ever done.

They're a good band, good music, and they're Lovecraft themed which I like even though I still haven't read any of Lovecraft's works. That last little note means that I don't get a lot of the references in their music. One of these took place at their concert last Saturday when they had a couple of thousand gamers avidly chanting "Ya Ya Cthulu Fatagen!" I'm not entirelly sure what that means but I'm pretty sure its something along the lines of praise Cthulu.

Also, did you know it's pronounced "Kuh-too-loo", not "cuh-thoo-loo?" It makes sense giving the spelling, even if it is odd for a t followed by an h to make two separate sounds rather then one th sound. Then again maddening texts are one of the cornerstones of the Lovecraft world.

Which brings me to my next point. I got a few of the members of the band to sign my pass. One of them made an elaborate mark, and another wrote: "Toren Mcboren Macbin!" I didn't know what that meant, but I was intrigued. It seems pretty clear to me that this series of odd words is a lot like "Ya Ya Cthulu Fatagen," it means something that I don't really understand.

I spent a while looking for it on the net, but didn't find anything. I was basically resolved to having to just read the books before I could figure this thing out when I stumbled upon something. This isn't a verse from the dark un-texts that tell of the rising of coming of the lord Cthulu who will devour all. This isn't some fel chant from before time when we praised these horrible monsters as Gods.

It's the singers name.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home