Saturday, October 29, 2005

Tithing 10%

This is a philosophy that's been in my mind for a long time, I've put it into practice recently, and now that I've been doing it for a while I feel the time has come to discuss it. This policy of acting before discussing is my own quiet revolution against armchair philosophers whose words are righteous but whose actions are hollow.

I'll not attempt to hide my difficulties with organized religeon, but there is one aspect that isn't held by almost any organized religeon that I still agree with. The act of tithing to the church is a key part of many organized religeon, and it's one that I actually like. The poblem I have with it is that if the church mandates the tithe it makes it too much like taxation, which puts the church in a postion of rulership. Theocracy is something that I consider both a flawed form of government, and a corruption of the church, because of this anythign that would make the church an organization of power is right out.

I do like tithing though. So I tithe to the people. I don't keep track of how much, but it's never too signifigant an amount, and I prefer to give to street people rather to a large organized charity. If there as someway I could connect to the charity as another person I would, but sending a check to an adress to help people I'll never see has always rung hollow to me.

Now the big question, Why? Tithing is a good thing for several reasons IMO.

Oh, IMO means In My Opinion BTW

BTW means By the way.

Anway, I tithe for several reasons. First of all it's an act of charity, as someone of privelage whose already maintained security and a saftey net for myself I feel able to be charitable. It makes me feel good. Most importantly though, its an act that frees you of material ties. The act of throwing away coins devalues money to the mind, and gradually forces you into detachment from material goods. This is one of the higher aspects of enlightenment that clashes heavily with real life, but it's important to see from that perspective at least once.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home