Saturday, February 11, 2006

I'm changing my major to Mad Science

Max Willson to CSpennerGreetings.

I'm considering constructing a device using components from the student supplies section at the UW bookstore (they sell everything) and I have 2 key questions.

I've forgotten whether it's resistors or capacitors that stack in series, Is it figure A, or figure B (potential forms of my device) that would simplify to Figure C.

Secondly, if the methodology used to close the switch, which is made out of two metal points, was a pumpkin, how much charge would be necessary to cause that pumpkin to explode? This methodology is also why there is a resistor drawn on the switch.

-Max Willson

CSpenner to me.

Hey Max.If you're going for large equivalent capacitance, then connect them in parallel (increases effective area => more room to store charge) as in figure A.
Highly dependant on pumpkin size and density. Not sure you'll be able to accomplish this with off-the-shelf capacitors...you'll need quite a few.
Careful with those pumpkins. And capacitors.Send me the video when you figure it out.
cs

______________________________
__From: Maximilian Willson [mailto:theinfinitemobius@gmail.com]
Sent: Sat 2/11/2006 2:38 PM
To: Christopher Spenner
Subject: A question on charge
- Show quoted text -

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home