Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Language

It just occurred to me that I’ve gradually started swearing more in this blog. When I first started this one I toned it down immensely. I used to keep a blog before this one existed that had my full breadth of profanity in it, but I stopped keeping that one a little bit after this one started. I didn’t feel the need.

At this point I think it’s worth discussing my general feelings on profanity itself. I’m not opposed to it in any way, I don’t mind when those around me use it, and I use some of the less severe expletives in an almost casual way. I have a policy of saving up significant ones not so much because I think there’s anything wrong with them but because they lose their intensity if they’re overused. I share the general view that profanity is overused in modern discourse, but unlike most I don’t’ think this because I have anything against profanity (I can express the most vile intent without using any profane words, and so too can I say something fairly harmless while using numerous profane words) I just think we need to have a selection of words that are significant. Words that people reserve for matters of extreme emotion. I’ll also admit that I don’t always adhere to this policy, there’s probably some correlation between it and the general stress level I have but I don’t care enough right now to make any theories on it.

It’s also worth note that I’m dramatically opposed to censorship. Particularly censorship by an outside body.

The F-C-C won’t let me be or let me be me so let me see. They tried to shut me down on M-TV but it feels to empty without me”-Eminem

I also probably won’t censor myself here any more then I am now. It’s really more of a passive observation then it is any kind of self criticism, which is rare because I’m full of self criticism.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home