Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Pulling the Strings

(Origionally composed on the night spanning 3-30-2007 and 3-31-2007)

There are a few bugs around tonight. Small flying insects, fruit fly I believe, and I'm not very fond of them. It's odd too because they don't do anything to harm or inhibit me, and I have a history of getting along with bugs at this job. There are two spiders who make their webs near the door to the laundry room. They've been here almost as long as I have, and I've come to enjoy their company. Shane once batted at them and cut down their webs. I didn't say anything at the time, but I was sad that whole night. I was filled with hope the next night when I saw that at least one had survived, and I was overjoyed when I returned a week later to find them rebuilding. I've come to care for them in the strange way that one cares for their pets. During my downtime I sometimes watch their meticulous spinning, and I wonder if they can understand what I am. This massive being that shapes the face of their world. Am I to them as the planets or the tides are to me? I do not know, but I still care for these tiny creatures.

Yet the bugs annoy me, and I think I know what it is. The spiders have their place, separate from mine, where they do their thing. The fruit flies, however; are floating around my laundry room, landing on things and doing whatever it is they do. They are, in short, intruders. It was with this thought that I almost crushed one of them, but a pang of guild held my hand. Intruder or not they haven't done anything wrong. They're just being fruit flies and in a way we're both part of the same natural order. They are what they are just as I am who I am. I ponder this for a moment, and with that thought I capture the fly in my hand. I leave the laundry room, hold my hand up to to the spiders, release the fly, and let nature take its course.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home