Friday, February 17, 2006

iPwnt

I'm a big fan of my iPod. Overall I'd recommend them.

However.*

It turns out that there's a problem essentially everyone who uses their iPod as a hard drive has after some extended period of time. I don't know the exact nature of the problem but it involves how the computer recognizes it. When I connect my iPod to my computer it freezes the computer until I unplug it. Until recently the only way I was able to charge my iPod was to connect it to my computer, and having a frozen computer for 8 hours isn't a good thing. I got conrad's wall charger so that problem is solved. This still leaves the problem that my iPod is now essentially unupdateable. I have found one obscure method of doing so. Run the battery to 0 (leaving it playing with the light on and no headphones works well for this) then plug it into the computer. It won't freeze for about 2 minutes. During those 2 minutes you can transfer stuff. It's a pain and it's tedious but right now it's the only known way of doing this.

If you have this problem you need to learn a few things. Go to apple support and look up things on resetting your iPod, putting it into disk mode, and using the restore function. I'm told restore can create a temporary fix, but I've got music on mine that I don't have on my computer, so it's out for me.


*who didn't see that one coming?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home